Friday, May 1, 2009

Another prickly post.

Further to my nettle post the other day, I now have 2 gallons of nettle wine fermenting away. The recipe came from the blog of the inspiriational Mrs L.
Some picture of the process - started yesterday.

Half a gallon of freshly picked nettle tips.



Simmering away with lots of grated ginger


In the fermenting bin - lemons, tea bags and yeast added,


Frothing up nicely today.


I'll leave it in the bin until Sunday and then transfer to the demi- johns to finish fermenting out. Can't wait to try it, but I'll do my best to be patient.

I was very kindly asked for my nettle soup recipe. It is one of those things that doesn't really have a set format. Usually I collect some nettle tips - just over half one of those bag for life carriers, or about 2 litres. I sweat 2 onions and a couple of garlic cloves until they are nice and soft - add a large diced potato and cook a little bit more - then add the nettles and some good stock ( about one and a half litres - ish) salt and pepper and simmer until the potato is soft. Blitz it well with a hand blender or liquidiser. I add a glug of cream at the end and reheat. If you happen to have a couple of leeks about you, then feel free to add them in place of one of the onions. Some chopped chives sprinkled on top look nice too.
I love this soup. No-one ever believes it is made from nettles. I served this as the first course for Easter Sunday lunch and it went down a treat - seconds all round! Do try it.

2 comments:

sunnymama said...

Oh the soup sounds good! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to hearing how the wine turns out too :)

sunnymama said...

I left you an award on my blog - no need to pass it on unless you want to but I wanted you to know how much I'm enjoying your lovely blog.
http://sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.com/2009/05/awards.html